Friday, June 24, 2011

Are We There Yet?


Imagine trying to get to Greeley, CO on a frontage road. With YGGG #1 it happens. Yes, my granddaughter and I were traveling down I-76 at 75 mph when I saw a Highway 34 exit sign and did just that. After about a mile my granddaughter said, "Granny, you are heading back east again." No, not me!! Finding another point to turn around and go back where I had made my exit, I ended up on a country road at a farm house. It happens!

Finally, I found the road that should have taken me back to I-76 in order to locate Hwy. 34 WEST. Instead I ended up on a frontage road. We traveled the frontage road along side I-76 for miles. The only thing I knew was that I was heading WEST in the same direction as everybody going to Denver.

After a while I began to panic. Pulling into a horse trailer place, I asked directions. Go a bit further. Whew ... at last we were on our way to Greeley. After a quick lunch we headed toward the Embassy Suites where we are attending the Family History Expo. Missing the road we needed to the hotel, we found another road. Yes, we were there!!

Last night we decided to go to the Cracker Barrel to eat. After winding through rotary circles and one way roads, we managed to locate FOOD. Leaving there posed a problem as I took a road that took me back to the Cracker Barrel. If there is a way in, there has to be a way out. Right? Eventually.

Are we really here? I think so! Reminder list ... purchase a GPS!

YGGG #1 Ruby

3 comments:

  1. Even a GPS will have you turning left into a lake. I have lived in Colorado for a long time and still get turned around on the country roads here thinking where exactly am I? Won't be making the FHE this year. I would have loved to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well, those little side-trip detours can be fun. My extension club group used to do a road trip every fall and those little detours were just part of the fun. We always found our way home again & that's what matters. One year some of my quilting group & I went cross-country from Orchard to North Platte for QuiltNebraska. We saw so much more of the state than we would have if we'd just gone straight to the Interstate and then west. Gotta get off the beaten path once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my GPS. She keeps me company on long road trips. Almost like having a nagging backseat driver telling you what to do all the time. Turn right. Turn left. You didn't pay attention to me, make a U-turn. She also takes me down gravel roads sometimes, not to mention neglecting to tell me to stop at red lights. Really, I do love it, I just have to remember that I'm a little bit smarter than she is and don't always have to take her advice.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Find a Grave

Search 31.6 million cemetery records at by entering a surname and clicking search:
Surname: