Friday, July 16, 2010

Family Touring and Researching


A few years ago I was born in the Black Hills of South Dakota ... actually more than a few. Having lived in South Dakota until I was 14 years old, I still find it a great place to visit. Each year it seems like the hills have changed, mostly with more tourist attractions, but still they are pretty to see.

Because my granddaughter is with me on this trip, we decided to take her uncle and spend a full day in the Black Hills. Our trip began by trying to find records in the Dawes Co. Courthouse in Chadron, Nebraska. It was a place to stretch our legs, but also turned into a "dry run." Now I have to regroup my thoughts as to where to look next. My granddaughter helped by carrying the big index volumes and watching intently as I went through the names.

We stopped at Custer, South Dakota to decorate my sister's grave. She is the only family member buried there. She died at age seven and was a twin. Next we drove to Mount Rushmore and marveled at the number of people who had the same idea.

Coming back down the Hills, we stopped at Edgemont, South Dakota, which has dwindled in size considerably since I lived there. We decorated my father's grave. Being frightened that she might come upon a rattlesnake, my granddaughter had borrowed her other uncle's garden rake. We didn't find any snakes!

The next stop was a history lesson at Nebraska's Fort Robinson. It's a great place for reunions or just to set back on the porch and pretend you are back in the early fort days.

Our one day trip was fun, but were we ever tired. We are now getting ready to host about 20 genealogists tomorrow at the local museum in Alliance, Nebraska. That will be another fun day!

YGGG #1 - Ruby

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Find a Grave

Search 31.6 million cemetery records at by entering a surname and clicking search:
Surname: